Harry Oulton, visiting author

Harry Oulton, visiting author

We were incredibly lucky to have Harry Oulton spend the day with us. Harry is an author of children’s books and he spoke to everyone in the school about his thought processes and how different people buld up a picture in their mind about what they read. He gave some brilliant examples of alternative thinking. “A spiky orange thing” – could it be a flower? A hedgehog? The pyramids? Several boys thought so (I don’t know how!) but I doubt that anyone pictured a ginger haired male, which is what Harry pictured in his mind. Harry worked with each year group and gave them various tasks – I do hope some of the boys email him their clerihews. He also read from his latest book – A Pig Called Heather. I  wish I could do a Scottish accent as well as he did! (http://www.harryoulton.co.uk/a-pig-called-heather/) Harry must have thought we were a rather odd school – I doubt that many male Heads of English dress in yellow dresses and have serious conversations with visiting authors – but well done Mr Erskine-Naylor for getting into the spirit of Book Day by being Goldilocks.